The Garden Classroom, a registered charity that regularly works in over 20 parks and gardens across Islington and Hackney in London, is currently seeking to appoint a Finance Officer. The Garden Classroom can also deliver activities in green spaces closest to other schools, as well as immersive countryside days at idyllic heritage venues in Kent and Sussex.
The charity provides urban children and adults with transformative outdoor experiences devised to encourage active lifestyles, promote self-discovery, inspire growth and stimulate respect for nature.
Please share details of this job opportunity with anyone in your networks that may be interested in finding out more or applying. The deadline for applications is Tuesday 1st August 2023. Many thanks to Sarah Davies, Director of Fundraising at The Garden Centre, for providing details of this opportunity.
The job advert reads.
JOB OPPORTUNITY: FINANCE OFFICER – THE GARDEN CLASSROOM
o Hours: 21 hours per week to 44* weeks term time (*includes 4 weeks working during school holidays.
o Gross salary: £30,000 p.a. pro rata (£15,931 p.a.).
o Location: based in Islington, London with hybrid working available.
o Start date: Friday 1st September 2023.
o Closing date for applications: Tuesday 1st August 2023.
o Interview date: applicants will be invited to attend interviews in Islington in the week commencing Monday 7th August 2023.
Who we are:
“TGC (The Garden Classroom) is a multi-award winning charity committed to connecting communities in
Islington, Hackney and surrounding boroughs with nature (www.thegardenclassroom.org.uk) for health,
wellbeing and to inspire care and concern for the environment.
We are looking for:
“A collaborative and supportive Finance Officer with great attention to detail who will be responsible for the day to day financial administration of our growing charity. Working to ensure we are compliant with Charity Commission and Companies House requirements, the Finance Officer will report to the Director of Fundraising and will be responsible for updating the CEO, Treasurer and Board on financial matters when required.
o Accounting software : Xero
o IT software : Google Drive
o Financial year : 1st September – 31st August
The role involves:
● Purchase Invoice: make payments to staff, suppliers, payroll, HMRC and others (within 4 working
days) but obtain approvals in advance where necessary. Inform payee via email of payment having
● Reconciling payments to Xero: maintaining accurate records and coding income and expenditure
across multiple departments and project budgets.
● Sales Invoices: generate to service users. Credit control including chasing payments.
● Pension Scheme: TGC has a company NEST pension scheme. Liaise with pension provider and
employees and ensure the accountant has the information required to log the pension information.
● Financial Admin: work closely with CEO, Senior Management Team and Director of Fundraising to
provide up to date financial information as required.
● Budgets: provide weekly departmental balances from Xero.
● Bank Balances: provide weekly.
● Expenses: Maintain and ensure expenses / receipts are in good order including the TGC team’s use of
Monzo / Pleo.
● Gift Aid: Manage Gift Aid claims to HMRC.
● Maintain and order office supplies (paper, ink).
● Budget/Forecast (Master Plan): monthly review and update activity, income and expenditure
regularly with Senior Management Team.
● Cashflow: review and update monthly.
● Funders: provide accurate detailed financial information for funding applications and reporting as
● Monthly Management Accounts: including P & L and short narrative report: generate via Xero and
share with the Senior Management Team.
● Financial Risk: maintaining overview of financial risk (sharing any red flags in good time).
● Trustee Meetings: (6 per year), provide one page written finance report 10 days prior to schedule
● Bank Accounts: manage TGC’s bank accounts as required (including updating signatories, ordering
of cards etc).
● Accountant & Independent Examiner: liaise with TGC’s appointed accountant (and independent
examiner), CEO, Chair and Treasurer Trustee as required.
● Annual Accounts: prepare information and paperwork for TGC’s accountant for year end accounts
ready for submission to Companies House and the Charity Commission by 31st October.
● Annual Returns: Charity Commission and Companies House via online portals and post.
● Debtors: create and manage a debtors ledger (updated monthly).
● HMRC, NI & Pension: administration of, adhering at all times to company and charity law and
● Financial Systems: review and improve for the benefit of the whole organisation.
● Troubleshooting: address and solve any issues that arise with the TGC Senior Management Team
and Trustees as and when reasonably required.
● Utility accounts: monitoring and administering contracts for BT, Insurance, payment systems, bike
● Payroll: payroll journals and budget control.
● AAT Level 3 or higher
● Experience working in a finance role for a charity
● Excellent admin skills
● Motivated, self-starter and able to work independently
● Love of the natural world
● Experience using Xero bookkeeping software
● Experience using Google Drive including Google Sheets
● Experience managing departmental and core budgets for a charity
“Salaries above London Living wage. TGC is an equal opportunities employer and actively encourages
applications from all members of the community.
How to apply:
“If you would like to apply, please send your CV (including two references) and a covering letter explaining why you are the right person for the job to email@example.com by Tuesday 1st August 2023.”